Sunday, March 25, 2007

Three, going on four months later...

Reading some of my last posts provides an insight into how fast one's life can change. Over the last three months things seem to have fallen into place. Cambridge have given me an offer - much to my delight - which I have accepted as my "firm", along with Bristol, Warwick - my "insurance" - and Exeter. Coursework has been handed in, and January module results collected. I feel like I'm on the last lap, perched on the edge of my time at sixth-formed college; teetering, about to fall into the uncertainty that is university.

Friends are all going through the same process, and it's weird to think of how our lives are going to soon diverge based on our own aspirations etc. I. is going to work part-time whilst doing a degree in Internet Computing at UWE. J. might go to Imperial College to do Electrical Engineering. A guy in my tutor group is even going to fly jets for the RAF (some people have all the fun)!

However, all this is most certainly not free. A depressing amount of debt must be entered into for the "privilege" of a university education. A presentation in college last week revealed the shocking extent of what I face. We're talking about £20-30,000 here! Although I flinched when first faced with the figures, a greater injustice became apparent. Someone studying Jurisprudence (Law) at Oxford, will pay exactly the same for their education as someone doing a nursing degree at Huddersfield! Which has the most value for society?

The Apprentice is back! In my sad life this has occasioned some excitement, as despite never having had a job, I always turn into a business expert when watching the show. Hopefully some characters will emerge that we can love/loath in equal measure. I look forward to Wednesday...

3 comments:

Ian said...

You? A business expert?! Good lord man you are no such thing!

John said...

Well Ian, I must admit: I know nothing about the reality of business. Therefore, there's only one thing that I can do... go into management consultancy! :)

Ian said...

Cough... Michelle Duberry! :P