Sunday, April 02, 2006

On Holiday (at last)

Oh dear, yet again I must apologise for the infrequency with which I post. I assure you that I have some very good reasons however, and indeed, this being a general 'catch up' of a post, these will compose the body of what I am about to write.

Anyway, the holidays have arrived (at last) and I am about to embark on a period of relaxation. But what has filled the two weeks or so since I last came here? Lots - to put it simply.

Firstly, I went to the Oxbridge Conference at Cheltenham racecourse. This was very instructive, as talks were divided between those that were generic, i.e. a general intro to either university and its admissions process, and those that were subject specific. I eagerly listened to both the English and History ones, hoping that one would definitively win me over. Unfortunately however, both transpired to be equally tantalising. Each course gives students a thorough introduction to their subject in the first year, this enforced through a compulsory curriculum, and then in your second and, certainly, third years, the opportunity is given for you to explore your own interests. On balance though, and after some careful consideration, I think I'll go the History way. The only drawback to going on this day, though I don't regret it, is that now I perceive other unis as being inferior, and this will make my inevitable failure to get in all the more acute.

My next engagement was also uni orientated - a UCAS convention on Bath's campus. This was much less useful than the Oxbridge event. There were no talks, just 140 or so stands, each allocated an institution, from were you could obtain prospectuses. I suppose the staff behind the stalls where there if you wanted to ask questions, however, this was made impossible by the plethora of cretins that ambled about, generally cluttering up the place. If the convention taught me anything it was that: 1) There are loads of institutions where you can get a degree 2) There exists lots of competition for places 3) That competition (on the whole) is not that intelligent.

Something which proved to be much more enjoyable was my trip to Oxford to see Oscar Wilde's 'A Woman Of No Importance'. The play fresh in our minds from having just finished reading it in class, other English Lit students and I traveled up by coach on Friday evening. Although the production was only semi-professional, it was still excellent to see it as many other students on our course won't - being performed. It's a been a while since I've been to a theatre, and the experience reminded me how much I enjoy it. Although film as a medium can doing amazing things - just look at the special effects on the latest Star Wars film - the experience of having people act in front of you has quite a unique quality.

Anyway, I think I've written quite enough to be going on with. I could have told you the other things I've done, but I can't be bothered. Looking to the future, I intend to spend the next two weeks playing DoD, reading (will update you), meeting up with friends, and - dare I say it - doing some revision!

No comments: