Wednesday, August 30, 2006

All freshened up

Like the new design? I thought it was time for a change, and this one is so fresh. It's clear and uncluttered - the very antithesis of my mind at the moment. I've got about a hundred and one different things to do both before I go back to college and when I'm there.

Firstly, there's my history personal study. I'm analysing whether Truman's decision to drop the bomb on Hiroshima was a purely military one. There were various other factors playing on his mind, most notably his country's future relations with the USSR. Did he then authorise the use of the bomb to intimidate Stalin, hoping to make him more amenable to America's postwar agenda? Without Hiroshima's destruction, could the war have been ended without a bloody invasion of the Japanese home islands, costing the lives of thousands of young Americans? Well, I daresay you'll get to see the final version of the essay...

On top of this I've got to finish reading The French Lieutenant's Woman for my English Literature A2 - hardly what I'd choose to look at off my own back, but never mind. It's funny in places, which helps, but I still don't relish having to get through it before term starts (it probably won't happen). On the reading front, I've also got to get through some articles my politics teacher gave me - by the end of this year, I think I'm going to be all read out, which is rather unfortunate as...

Finally, my UCAS application looms ahead, and I'm still not sure what unis I should apply to other than Cambridge (the course looks amazing). I don't want to move to London, as I think of our capital as being like Dante's Inferno, and with the LSE and UCL right in the center - well, as they say, 'Go figure'. The trouble is, with Oxbridge being hard to get into and London being hell, there's not much this side of the border (no way am I going to Edinburgh or St Andrews, or even Durham for that matter) in terms of history courses that really takes my fancy. In a sense, I wish I didn't live in Bristol, as it's a nice city for a student, but I think the experience of moving away will do me good. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

No comments: